A regular case of wine in the USA contains 12 bottles of wine. Each bottle has a capacity of 750ml. However, special wine bottles are sold in different sizes of cases, and the luxurious high-end wines come in a case of six.
How Much Does A Case Of Wine Cost?
The price of a wine case is not fixed. They are available at many price points. However, you will have to spend at least $100 for a decent quality wine case.
If this price sounds too costly, you should remember that you will be getting 12 bottles at this price which means that each bottle costs less than $10, which is a great deal.
To get an approximate case price, multiply the cost of one bottle by 12. This will give a number that would be slightly above the actual cost of the case as sellers provide a discount of 10-20% on cases.
For example, if a bottle costs $10, then a case of 12 bottles would cost you about $100 instead of $120.
Types Of Wines In The Different Price Ranges
1. About $100: You will get decent quality wine which would cost about $10 per bottle. This wine is good for simple parties, get-togethers, and easy drinking.
2. About $125: These are affordable wines with a little more variety and an average bottle cost of $12. You can choose a few $8–$10 bottles, and you can also add a few $16–$18 bottles if you want to try something new. These wines are typically mass-produced, but it doesn’t imply that these wines are of poor quality.
3. About $150: These are wines of good quality costing, on average, $15 a bottle. You can purchase a few Douro red blends for less than $10, then treat yourself to the $20 Willamette Pinot Noir or Etna Rosso. For the best deal, select lesser-known locations and more economical wine-producing nations.
4. About $200: Very high-quality wines with $20 bottle averages. You can still get wonderful wines from less expensive locations like the Loire Valley, the Finger Lakes, or Washington, and you could add in some classics like Chablis or Rioja. This is the sweet spot for excellent wine at an excellent price.
5. About $300: These are wines of the highest caliber, with a $30 bottle average price. You are expected to spend at least this amount if you enjoy wines from well-known places like Napa or Bordeaux. The greatest wines from lesser-known locations and entry-level bottles from well-known places should be available at this price bracket.
6. About $500: Case of very good caliber, with a $50 bottle average price. This case includes Barolo, Champagne, and Burgundy. You can get a few $30 Sonoma Chardonnays or Rosso di Montalcino, and you could certainly treat yourself to an expensive aged wine or vintage Champagne.
Also Read: How To Make Wine At Home
Red, White, Or Sparkling?
Apart from the basic cases, there are mixed wine cases as well as customizable wine cases available too. However, mixed cases depend on the drinker, the event/occasion, and the budget.
For example, A good and basic starter case might include 2 sparkling wines, 5 red wines out of which some are light and some are bold, and 5 white wines with some light and some bold as well.
Hereafter, you can customize your case as per your needs.
- You can remove two bottles of white wine and replace them with two bottles of rosé if there are several rosé options available.
- If you love sparkling wine but do not like red wine, replace a few.
- If you hate light reds, you can try adding some full-bodied wines as it is always better to try at least one new type.
How Many Bottles In A Case Of Champagne
There are 6 bottles in a case of champagne. Each bottle has a capacity of about 750ml. So you get about 4.5l of champagne in a case.
Although this is a general trend of champagne cases, there are different champagnes available in different case sizes.
How Much Does A Case Of Wine Weigh
A case of wine weighs about 31.2 pounds which is about 14.5 kg. This is because one bottle of wine weighs about 2.6 pounds(1.17 kgs) and one case contains 12 such bottles.
How Many Bottles In A Half Case Of Wine
There are 6 bottles of wine in a half case. However, the concept of a half case is not provided by all wine brands.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is cheaper to buy a case of wine than to buy individual bottles as you might get up to a 10-20% discount on the case price.
2. How much is a full case of wine?
A full case of decent wines ranges between $100-$500.
3. How many 1.5 l bottles are in a case of wine?
If you buy 1.5l bottles and not the regular 750 ml bottles, you will get 6 bottles in a case.
Read More: What Wine Goes With Salmon?