In reality, there are 1.48 ounces in a shot glass. there is no official standardized size of the shot, rather the number of ounces depends on the size of the glass. Be it a Saturday date night or a late Sunday happy hour, shots are a staple for nearly every fun night weekend.
If you are worried that you are not really aware of how many ounces are in a shot glass, this article will guide you in the best possible way.
Keep reading to find out more!
What Is A Shot Glass?
The shot glasses are tiny-sized bar glasses that are used to pour, measure, and even serve small portions of liquor. Even though they are generally used for drinking straight liquor, they can also be used to measure espresso coffee drinks in certain cases.
However, you might be surprised to know that they are available in a variety of sizes ranging from less than ounces to over 3 ounces.
The presence of the thick bottom makes these glasses even more sturdy and useful.
How Many Oz In A Shot
The number of ounces in a shot predominantly depends on the size of the glass. Although there is no official standardized size of a shot glass, shot glasses typically hold around 1.25 oz. to 1.5 oz.
The size can also soar to even 3 ounces, however, the most common one used holds around 1.5 oz. Now the size of a shot also varies from country to country or city to city. For example, in Utah, there is a strict definition of a shot i.e 1.5 ounces while in the United States, a shot can range from 1.25 ounces to 1.5 ounces.
In Australia, the average shot ranges from 1 oz. to 2 oz., and in Germany, ut ranges from .5 oz to 1.5 oz.
How Many Tablespoons In A Shot?
1.5 oz being the most common shot, if you consider this measurement as a shot, then one shot will be equal to three tablespoons. But since every shot glass has different sizes, one should make sure that they are making the right measurements before serving it to the customers.
Types Of Shot Glasses
Following are the different types of shot glasses:
- Cheater Glass: This is basically a tall and slim-shot glass that can contain about 2 ounces of liquor. These types of glasses are also called jigger glasses.
- Single glass: This is a small shot glass that can hold up to 1.5 ounces of liquor and is mainly used to serve hard liquor.
- Fluted glass: This shot glass contains ridges on its sides and is generally used to serve liqueurs and cordials.
- Pony glass: This is known to be a small shot glass that can hold up to 1 ounce of liquor.
- Tall shot glass: This type of glass resembles a taller and slimmer version of a single shot glass which can hold up to 2 ounces or more of liquor. It is often known as shooter glass and is typically used to serve hard liquor such as vodka, tequila, and whiskey.
- Rounded glass: Known to be a shot glass with rounded edges, this type of glass is used to serve liqueurs and cordials.
Choosing The Right Shot Glass
Always remember that the right shot glass depends on the liquor you are serving. Now consider the following points to choose the right shot glass:
- Always go for a single or pony glass if you are serving hard liquor.
- While Fluted and rounded glasses are the way to go if you are serving liquors or cordials.
- Now the size of the glass will also depend on the number of people or the amount of crowd you are serving. If it is a large group, then you might want to use a tall shot glass to make sure everyone has enough liquor.
- If you are someone who buys products matching your personality, then you can always go for uniquely designed glasses with logos and thick bottoms.
How Many mL In A Shot?
If your typical measurement of a shot is 1.5 oz, then your standard shot glass contains about 44 mL of liquor. This is also the typical amount of liquor served in a single shot. However, there is a vast array of shot glasses that can hold up to different mL of liquor, ranging from 28 mL to even 90mL. For example, a small shot glass oz can hold up to 30 ml, whilst a medium shot glass holds about 44 ml and about 89 ml for a large shot glass. Take a look at the measurement before pouring liquor into your shot glass.
Single shot: 1.5 oz = 3 tablespoons = 9 teaspoons = 44 ml
Double shot: 3 oz. = 6 tablespoons = 18 teaspoons = 88 ml
Pouring The Perfect Shot
Now that you have an idea about the measurements of a shot glass, let us help you master the skill of pouring the perfect shot!
- The key to pouring a perfect shot resides in the art of pouring it slowly and steadily. However, it is not advisable to stop in the middle of pouring. If so happens, the shot will be uneven.
- After making sure that it is a continuous pour, gently swirl the shot and take a sip to see if it has the right strength.
- Make sure you are using the right type of shot glass depending on the type of liquor and the number of people you are serving.
- Always use the right quality of liquor before pouring the shot.
Tips For Drinking Shots
If you are not really used to drinking shots, then do consider the following tips to make sure you have a fun and safe experience when drinking.
- Always drink slowly and savor the flavor. The faster you drink, the more the chances of feeling nauseous and vomiting.
- Do not drink with an empty stomach. Always eat something before drinking.
- Make sure you know your limit. Do not drink more than you can tolerate.
- Do not forget to use a clean and fresh shot glass before pouring your drink.
- Do not swish the shot in your mouth, instead drink it in a smooth motion with your head tilt back.
- Remember to drink plenty of water in between the shots to reduce the chances of dehydration.
Difference Between A Shot Glass, Jigger, And Shooter
|Available in a range of shapes and sizes, shot glasses are simply used to serve liquor and alcohol.||Made of metal, these glasses are used to measure alcohol and make sure that drinks are made with the right amount of alcohol.||Being a taller and slimmer version of shot glasses, shooters are also used to serve shots and hold mixed drinks.|
Shooter vs Shot Glass
As we have already mentioned, shooters are the taller and slimmer version of shot glasses, generally used to serve shots and hold mixed drinks.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How To Measure A Shot Without A Shot Glass?
You can use spoons to measure a shot. One tablespoon holds up to 0.5 ounces of shot, so 3 tablespoons will make a perfect shot.
2. How much alcohol is in a shot?
A single shot glass with 1.5 ounces as its measurement can contain up to 44 ml of alcohol.
3. How Many Ounces In A Shooter?
A shooter can contain 2-5 ounces.
4. Is 1 ounce of liquor a shot?
1 ounce of liquor can also be regarded as a shot.
5. How Many Ounces In A Jigger?
Double-sided jiggers measure 1.5 oz on one side and 0.75 oz. on the other side.
Check More Posts :